Wood carving is an ancient and exquisite handicraft, which takes wood as raw material and carves it into various shapes of artworks through carving, cutting, polishing, and other techniques. Wood carving painting is painting the wood carving work with color to make it more beautiful and artistic. In this article, we will introduce the easiest way to color a wood carving.
Before coloring the wood carving, we need to do the following preparatory work:
- Prepare pigments and brushes. You can choose water-based or oil-based pigments according to your personal preference and needs. Brushes need to choose a softer texture and finer bristles to facilitate coloring.
- Smooth the surface of the wood carving. Smooth the surface of the wood carving, and remove burrs and rough parts, so as to facilitate the coloring.
- Apply primer. Before painting the wood carving, we need to apply primer. The primer can play a role in protecting the wood and enhancing the color. The primer can choose the same water-based or oil-based primer as the pigment.
2. The steps of coloring
Choose the color. Before painting, we need to choose the right color. The color can be chosen according to personal preferences and needs, but it should be noted that the color should be coordinated with the texture of the wood, not too harsh and abrupt.
Apply the first layer of paint. Dip the brush into the right amount of pigment and apply it evenly on the surface of the wood carving work. When applying the pigment, you need to be careful not to be too thick, so as not to affect the texture and grain of the wood. After applying the first layer of pigment, wait for it to dry.
Apply the second layer of pigment. Wait for the first layer of pigment to dry, then apply the second layer of pigment. The concentration of the second layer of pigment can be slightly intensified to enhance the saturation and depth of the color.
Repair the details. After applying the second layer of paint, we need to repair some details. For example, some recesses and corners may be missed and need to be carefully repaired with a small brush.
Apply protective paint. After applying the color, we need to apply the protective paint. The protective paint will serve to protect the wood and the color. You can choose water-based or oil-based protective paint that is the same as the color.
- Avoid over-coloring. When applying pigments, do not over-color. Excessive coloring will affect the texture and grain of the wood, making the woodcarving work lose its original beauty.
- Pay attention to the matching of colors. When choosing colors, you need to pay attention to the matching of colors. The color should be coordinated with the texture of the wood, not too harsh and abrupt.
- Pay attention to the direction of the painting. When applying paint, you need to pay attention to the direction of the painting. The direction of the painting should be consistent with the grain of the wood to keep the original texture and grain of the wood.
- Pay attention to the choice of protective paint. When choosing protective paint, you need to choose the same water-based or oil-based protective paint as the pigment. Protective paint can play a role in protecting the wood and the color.
In short, wood carving coloring is a job that requires care and patience. Only with good preparation and precautions can we make beautiful and exquisite wood carvings.